Saturday, January 12, 2008

Strange Encounters

As many of you know, I HATE to fly. This may seem odd to you since my husband is a pilot with LOTS of hours logged in his book. I don't know what it is about flying, but I'd much rather ride in my car...even if it does take twice as long to get there! But, as I have become older and busier, I do like to SLEEP. So, instead of driving after school on Wed. to Corpus Christi and arriving in the early hours of the morning, I decided in November that I'd be brave and fly ALONE to Corpus and just meet my husband there. I was really uneasy about doing this come Wed. afternoon....matter of fact, I was really NERVOUS. Now, when I have flown in the past, at least I was always sitting next to a pilot, who could possibly do something if we were going to crash! But this flight was going to be different....who was I going to dig my fingernails into the whole flight?

Little did I know that the flying wasn't going to be the hard part on this journey, but it was going to be a person that didn't know Christ.

Anyway, the first flight from Abilene to DFW went well. I had a skinny, unsociable blond lady on side of me. She didn't say two words the entire flight. I figured it wouldn't be wise to claw her each time we hit a 'bump' in the air!

While in DFW, I had about a 3 hour wait until my flight left for the coast. I decided to go and eat supper at Chili's. I ate at Chili's Too, which evidently is a mini-Chili's b/c they didn't have my favorite sandwich that I was craving. But not a big deal, b/c the the thought of possibly getting sick on the next flight was going through my head as I decided on an alternative choice!

After I ate, I headed for my gate. I had a little over an hour of time to kill, so I pulled out my Max Lucado's Book John 3:16 and began reading in it. As I was reading, this guy walks up and says, "I'm lost, I have no idea where my gate is."

Why was he asking me for help?? Can't he tell by my pale face that I hate to fly, and the only thing I know about DFW is that it's huge. So after I tell him that I honestly have no idea where his gate is, he decides he'll just sit down next to me.

WHAT??? Go seek help elsewhere! I don't know you and I'm not going to lead you to your gate b/c I might get lost too! So I try to go on reading my book, but he's a TALKER. He never SHUT-UP. By this time I can't focus on my book, so I just stare at the TV which is on CNN and they're discussing the candidates for next years presidential race. He wants to know who I'm voting for. I reply, "Well, my list of who not to vote for has been decided, but I'm not sure who I will vote for yet."

He then says, "Well, what will be the deciding factor in who you vote for?"
I reply, "Religion. I want a president with a strong religious background."

Okay, from that point on this guy went NUTS. 'What do you mean religion? What does it matter if the president worships a big figure? (I was thinking....a big figure....maybe that's what he calls HIM.....but I usually refer to him as God....this should have been my first clue that things were odd with him!) ..... That has nothing to do with running our nation!......he kept on babbling more and more stuff.

Then he says, 'Well, I'm an Atheist................................."
Ok, I knew that from earlier sentences that he wasn't what I considered 'NORMAL'. But I now knew what the problem was. From the time I mentioned the word religion, it was like his blood pressure peaked b/c he wouldn't SHUT UP.

I tried to listen to what he had to say, but I found it very difficult to follow him for many reasons......(atheist???? sitting by me????....)

Anyway, I finally just kind of turned away from him and continued to act like I was reading from my book. Instead of reading, I just started praying for this poor guy (who, by the way was probably only in his early 20's). While praying I could hear him rambling about..."You know life ends once you die. And if you don't believe that...how about this......you're going to go to Hell anyway b/c you converted from Catholic to Methodist."

Okay, when I heard that, I couldn't be quiet any longer!!!! I looked at him and I said, "I'm sorry you believe those things. Please know that I will be praying for you. Please also know that I do not believe in DENOMINATIONS. However, I do believe that as Christians we are all worshipping the same GOD and all trying to work our way to the same place after we die. A place in which I believe, called HEAVEN. "

I then turned around and started reading my book again. He interrupts me and says, 'By the way, what are you reading about?"

Perfect opportunity.....I flip the cover over for him to see.....he replies...."Oh, that book...3:16."

I keep on reading, finished my chapter for the week and closed the book. The guy then says, "Why does it take a whole book to talk about one verse? Also, while you're busy reading, why don't you flip to the back and check the sources that Lucado uses b/c they're not creditable."

I had had enough of him. I finally just looked at him and said, "Look, I am able to read and believe whatever I choose and you have the same freedom. If you don't like what I'm reading or what my beliefs are, I suggest you leave and go find your gate to catch your flight!"

He left.

My thoughts on this situation:
Being around him made me uneasy and nervous. I had never been in that situation before. It made me very uncomfortable. I had heard about atheists....but I'd never talked to one, or had one tell me how bad I was for being a Christian. I just felt really sad for this guy. He needs to know Christ...he has no clue what he's missing out on! So in my daily prayers, I think I should be praying for those who don't know Christ.

My flight went fine...landed on time at Corpus and had a great time relaxing and shopping. Although we had a great time, it's good to be back home where I'm surrounded by lots of Christian friends!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Oh wow! I am so proud of you for standing up to that man. I hate when anyone is pushy about ANY of their beliefs...especially when they down my beliefs in the process. Ugh.

(and I wanted to let you know I left a little something for you on my blog)

Tammie said...

You go gurl! Wow, what a divine appointment! God sure does have a sense of humor doesn't he? "Let's see how Tara will handle this fella." You were right on, bold and strong in your faith!

Welcome Home,
Tam