Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Is it Friday yet?

Oh wow. What a week it's been, and it's only Tuesday night!

Update on my crazy life since last Friday....Em woke up with stomach bug Fri. morning. God cured her so that we could attend the playoff game Sat. in W. Falls. (Thank you God, b/c I'm not sure it would have been a pleasant day if we would have had to listen to it on KVRP.)

On Saturday, in the freezing cold outdoors, dear hubby thought he'd be be nice and carry Em to the car instead of making her walk. When he slung her around to get her in the car, he pulled something in his back. He's been down in his back since Saturday morning! YUCK! Lord, please give me some patience in learning how to deal with injured adults!

On Sunday, I took all 3 kiddos with me in freezing rain to Sunday school and church. Thank goodness my mother fixed us another great Sunday lunch, b/c if she hadn't, I probably would have stopped and picked up some three day-old burritos from Allsup's and taken them home for our lunch. When I leave church on Sunday's, I'm usually in a rather great, excited mood. But this Sunday, it just didn't happen for me! I was pretty down about several things.

Sunday afternoon I got lots of cleaning done in my house b/c that's what I do when I'm frustrated! (I also ate way too much chocolate too!) But amongst all the cleaning, I reflected, and decided that I'm going to have to say NO to certain duties in my stressful life! Even though, I know that I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me.......I also know that it's not good for me to say YES to everything that comes around or gets thrown upon me! So, I'm starting my New Year's Resolution off early this year.....I'm going to learn how to say NO more often! (Yes joyfuljourney, I will help with VBS!!)

Later Sunday afternoon, dear son takes it upon himself to lay on the couch and take a nap. THIS IS NOT NORMAL FOR HIM AT ALL!!!! Sure enough, he had been blessed with the stomach bug too! YUCK! Even his Grandmom in Lubbock got to hear sound effects as she was trying to have a phone conversation with my husband!!

Sunday night, youngest daughter doesn't sleep well for the fifth consecutive night! OK at 2:00am, Monday morning, I'm sitting up with her in the living room, just rocking away....it's pouring down freezing rain, thunderstorms going on with the temp. in the 30's......all I can do is pray, "Lord, would you please cancel school in the morning b/c I have really got to get caught up on my sleep!" Very seldom do we ever have a delayed start b/c of weather, so I figured I'd just pray for cancellation!!! Well, my selfish prayer didn't work, and I somehow got things together and made it to work on time! Injured back family member and vomitting son got to stay home instead of me! Not sure if I would have wanted to stay home anyway!!

Anyway, go to work, take baby to dr. during my conference period, fly to neighboring town to get her medicine, return her to her sitter, and get back to school before my students return! The rest of the day was calmer. When I went to pick up baby from her wonderful sitter,she had some homemade bread and potato soup to send home with me!!! Ah....huge sigh of relief....I didn't have to COOK tonight!!!! Thanks joyfuljourney for the supper!!

Monday night I just had to SLEEP! So, I did something that every parenting book says NO to! I put dear baby in bed with me and we all SLEPT!!!! I felt like a brand new person when I awoke this morning!! Life will be great today.........

Okay, so I survived school today. Came home cooked supper for my family and one of our friends. After supper, I was mixing up a dessert for our luncheon at school tomorrow. I stuck the pan in the oven, closed the door, and this horrible surge of electricity ran through my kitchen. It was so powerful that I could feel the vibrations under my feet! (no, I'm not joking!) Husband and our friend heard it, so they looked around, checked breaker box, etc. Nothing looked unordinary to them. We all go on about our tasks. 20 minutes later, the timer goes off on the oven....I open the oven and see this huge bright light shining like someone is welding in my oven! Seriously...it was that bright! My chocolate dessert that I made with REAL butter, didn't look anywhere near done! JUST LOVELY! WHAT WILL I TAKE FOR MY DESSERT TOMORROW?

Rewind a couple of weeks...............................husband and I were talking about what we wanted to do for Christmas. He suggested a new scope for his gun. I mentioned that I was kind of thinking about an oven, but since we both used it, it would need to be for both of us! His reply was, 'Well, we both eat the deer meat that I'll use the scope for!" Urrrr!

So, I decided that I'd rather have our kitchen repainted instead of a new oven. The painter comes out to our house this evening. He gives us a quote, and husband agrees with it. (Merry Christmas to me! yea! I can't wait!....or now, I may have to wait! uh..!! )Then, 2 hours later, boom, the oven has major problems!!

Present time now............I just shut oven door, turn power off, and start bathing kids, get them bed, etc. Went back to see if by chance, the dessert finished cooking on what little heat was in the oven. Wrong! So I start thinking of what I can make quickly, but without an oven! I decide I'll have to settle for peanut butter rice krispie treats at this point in time b/c I really don't have a choice! So, I start cooking the sugar and Karo...all is going well! It's going to be okay! While it's heating I decide to give my mom a call! I start talking about lots of things, and continue cooking...I add the peanut butter, stir it til it's creamy...pour in the cereal and stir..still talking to mom on the phone......."OH , SH**" ....(sorry it slipped, but it's the only word I had left!!!!) I had poured CRISPIX cereal into the mixture instead of RICE KRISPIES!!!!!!!!...so now, I have made a chocolate dessert that failed, and tried making the easiest thing, Rice Krispies and screwed them up too!!!!! So at 9:00 at night, I mix up another batch of Rice Krispies...this time I put the right cereal in it! Not a fancy dessert at all to take to a luncheon.....but it's going to have to work b/c I'm to tired (and scared) to try anything else at this point!!!!

Dessert problem has worked out, but we still have to decide what to do about oven....fix it or replace it! I don't want to THINK! I'm tired of THINKING!!! The painter is scheduled to start on Thursday. We have to decide fast what we're going to do. Maybe paint, and get an oven later!!! (I won't have to cook if we don't have an oven, right!)

2 comments:

Christy said...

Oh my goodness girl! When it rains it really does pour! I am so sorry I just read this post. I have been so caught up in my own 'problems' that I didn't notice yours. I hope you can forgive me and please let me know if there is anything AT ALL that I can do to help.

(Like let Lauren and I babysit while you go on the tour of homes).

Jackie said...

I know this is a trite cliche but it's true..."and this too shall pass".

So sorry about your "is it Friday yet" week!!

Stay strong...